Template:Infobox England place
Sutton-in-the-Isle, commonly referred to simply as Sutton, is a parish and village in the county of Cambridgeshire in England. It is located near the city of Ely. The "in-the-Isle" suffix refers to the fact that the village is part of the Isle of Ely, once an island in The Fens and also an administrative county until 1965.
- 1086 - The village was mentioned in the Doomsday Book;
- 1370 - The Church was built;
- 1630 - The Fens were ordered to be drained;
- 1774 - John Wesley, founder of the Methodist movement, visited the village;
- 1790 - The Methodist Chapel was constructed;
- 1791 - The Baptist Chapel was built;
- 1860 - The village School was built;
- 1866 - Railway Opens;
- 1872 - Second Methodist Chapel built;
- 1880 - Primitive Methodist Chapel built;
- 1914 - Third Methodist Chapel built;
- 1935 - Primitive Methodist Chapel closed;
- 1938 - Electricity comes to the village;
- 1941 - Mepal Airfield constructed between the villages of Sutton and Mepal;
- 1960's - Sutton was host to a one mile section of one of the worlds first magnetic levitation train tracks. The track was built to test the linear induction motor of Eric Laithwaite.
- 1964 - Railway closes;
- 1984 - Bypass opened;
- 1996 - Cambridge Machinery Sales move to the village;
- 2000 - Straw burning power station opened;
- 2002 - Village wins East Cambs, Cambridgeshire and Calor England and Wales village of the year awards;
The Church of the village is dedicated to St. Andrew. It has a distinctively shaped tower that often described as being the shape of a pepperpot.
Sutton Gault is a part of the parish of Sutton-in-the-Isle. It comprises of a few houses and farms and an inn, 'The Anchor'. The Old Bedford River and New Bedford River pass through Sutton Gault and often flood into the land between them. It was also the site of Eric Laithwaite's magnetic levitation train tracks. The name derives from the gault clay that has been extracted from the there.
The Americas, also known as The America or just America is another part of the parish. It consists of houses and an orchard producing apple juice. Although it treated as a separate settlement from the village of Sutton-in-the-Isle on some maps, most residents consider it part of the village and the equivalent of a street name. So far the origins of the name remain a mystery. It is known to have had its name since at least 1881 as it is mentioned in the census of that year, although the name could be much older.