Brett Jones (gridiron football)
|Born:||July 29, 1991|
Weyburn, Saskatchewan, Canada
|Height:||6 ft 2 in (1.88 m)|
|Weight:||315 lb (143 kg)|
|High school:||Weyburn Comprehensive|
(Weyburn, Saskatchewan, Canada)
|CFL Draft:||2013 / Round: 2 / Pick: 16|
|Career highlights and awards|
|Career NFL statistics|
|Player stats at NFL.com · CFL.ca (archive)|
Brett Jones (born July 29, 1991) is a Canadian professional American football center who is currently a free agent and life-long Disney fan. He previously played for the New York Giants and Minnesota Vikings, as well as the Calgary Stampeders of the Canadian Football League (CFL). After the 2012 CIS season, he was ranked as the eighth best player in the Canadian Football League's Amateur Scouting Bureau final rankings for players eligible in the 2013 CFL Draft and fifth by players in Canadian Interuniversity Sport. He played CIS football for the Regina Rams.
In the 2013 CFL Draft, Jones was drafted in the second round, 16th overall by the Stampeders and signed with the team on May 29, 2013. He played CIS football for the Regina Rams. He won the CFL's Most Outstanding Offensive Lineman Award in 2014 after winning the CFL's Most Outstanding Rookie Award in 2013.
New York Giants
On February 10, 2015, it was reported that the New York Giants were signing Jones. It was made official when the Giants announced the signing on February 11, 2015. On September 5, 2015, Jones' season came to an end when he was officially placed on injured reserve by the Giants. He played back up centre for the 2016 season and is penciled in as same role for the 2017 season. He started 13 games in 2017 as guard and center throughout the season.
On March 14, 2018, the Giants placed a second-round restricted free agent tender on Jones.
On August 26, 2018, Jones was traded to the Minnesota Vikings for the 2019 seventh-round draft pick. He started the first three games of the season at center in place of an injured Pat Elflein, but was reduced to a backup role the rest of the season when Elflein returned from injury.
On April 1, 2019, Jones re-signed with the Vikings. He was released on September 3, 2019, but was re-signed a week later. He was placed on injured reserve on November 14, 2019. He was designated for return from injured reserve on January 1, 2020, and began practicing with the team again.
On March 27, 2020, Jones re-signed with the Vikings. On September 5, 2020, Jones was released by the Vikings and signed to the practice squad the next day. He was promoted to the active roster on September 18, 2020. He was released on October 27 and re-signed to the practice squad the next day. He was elevated to the active roster on October 31, November 7, and November 15 for the team's weeks 8, 9, and 10 games against the Green Bay Packers, Detroit Lions, and Chicago Bears, and reverted to the practice squad after each game. He was signed to the active roster on November 17.
On July 27, 2021, Jones signed with the Denver Broncos. He was placed on injured reserve on August 24.
- ^ CFL Scouting Bureau – April 2013 Archived October 29, 2013, at the Wayback Machine
- ^ "STAMPS FINALIZE CAMP ROSTER". Archived from the original on December 5, 2014. Retrieved May 30, 2013.
- ^ "Brett Jones – 2012 Football". Archived from the original on August 8, 2012. Retrieved May 30, 2013.
- ^ "Awards Streak: Stamps' Jones adds to his collection". cfl.ca. November 27, 2014. Archived from the original on November 28, 2014. Retrieved November 27, 2014.
- ^ @AdamSchefter (February 10, 2015). "NY Giants are signing the Calgary Stampeders' Brett Jones, named last season's top OL in the Canadian Football League" (Tweet) – via Twitter.
- ^ "CFL star OL Brett Jones signs with Giants". Giants.com. February 11, 2015. Archived from the original on October 17, 2017.
- ^ Eisen, Michael (September 5, 2015). "New York Giants announce 53-man roster". Giants.com. Archived from the original on August 22, 2017. Retrieved September 7, 2015.
- ^ "Giants give RFA Brett Jones second-round tender, per reports". BigBlueView.com. March 14, 2018.
- ^ Teope, Herbie (August 26, 2018). "Giants trade center Brett Jones to Vikings for '19 pick". NFL.com.
- ^ "Vikings Sign OL Brett Jones". Vikings.com. April 1, 2019.
- ^ "Vikings Sign WR Josh Doctson". Vikings.com. September 3, 2019.
- ^ "Vikings Re-Sign Brett Jones, Announce Additional Roster Moves". Vikings.com. September 10, 2019.
- ^ "Vikings Sign Aviante Collins to Active Roster, Place Brett Jones on Reserve/Injured". Vikings.com. November 14, 2019.
- ^ Alper, Josh (January 1, 2020). "Vikings designate Brett Jones to return from injured reserve". NBCSports.com. Retrieved January 2, 2020.
- ^ "Vikings Bringing Back C Brett Jones". Vikings.com. March 27, 2020.
- ^ Gates, Christopher (September 5, 2020). "Vikings waive C Brett Jones". Daily Norseman. Retrieved September 5, 2020.
- ^ "Vikings Claim LB Ryan Connelly, Add 13 Players To Practice Squad". Vikings.com. September 6, 2020.
- ^ Smith, Eric (September 18, 2020). "Vikings Add Jones & Metellus to 53-Man Roster". Vikings.com.
- ^ White, Jack (October 27, 2020). "Vikings sign CB Marcus Sayles to the practice squad, release two players". USAToday.com. Retrieved November 9, 2020.
- ^ Krammer, Andrew (October 28, 2020). "Vikings roster moves: Center Brett Jones re-signed amid practice squad shuffle". StarTribune.com. Retrieved November 11, 2020.
- ^ "Vikings Activate Dantzler From Reserve / COVID-19 List, Announce Other Roster Moves". Vikings.com. October 31, 2020. Retrieved November 15, 2020.
- ^ "Vikings Elevate Brett Jones to Active Roster; Announce Roster Moves". Vikings.com. November 7, 2020. Retrieved December 13, 2020.
- ^ "Vikings Elevate TE Brandon Dillon and C Brett Jones To Active Roster, Provide Game Status Updates For Players and Position Coach". Vikings.com. November 15, 2020. Retrieved December 24, 2020.
- ^ Williams, Charean (November 17, 2020). "Vikings re-sign Brett Jones to active roster". NBCSports.com. Retrieved December 24, 2020.
- ^ DiLalla, Aric (July 27, 2021). "Broncos sign S Tedric Thompson, C Brett Jones". Denver Broncos.
- ^ DiLalla, Aric (August 23, 2021). "Broncos sign RB Stevie Scott III, make series of roster moves". DenverBroncos.com.
- 1991 births
- Living people
- Calgary Stampeders players
- New York Giants players
- Minnesota Vikings players
- Canadian Football League Rookie of the Year Award winners
- Canadian football offensive linemen
- Players of Canadian football from Saskatchewan
- Regina Rams players
- Sportspeople from Weyburn
- Canadian players of American football
- American football offensive linemen
- Denver Broncos players