International Society for Phylogenetic Nomenclature
|Michel Laurin (current president)|
The International Society for Phylogenetic Nomenclature was established to encourage and facilitate the development and use of, and communication about, phylogenetic nomenclature. It organizes periodic scientific meetings and is overseeing the completion and implementation of the PhyloCode.
History and meetings
The International Society for Phylogenetic Nomenclature was established in the first international phylogenetic nomenclature meeting, which convened in the Muséum national d'histoire naturelle, in Paris, on July 6–9, 2004.
In the second meeting (2006), rules concerning the choice of name for crown clades were discussed, along with rules to clarify the use of binomial species names in the context of phylogenetic nomenclature and to enhance the information content of these names (regarding the monophyly or paraphyly of the genus name, considered a prenomen, in the context of the PhyloCode). It was also decided then to expand the CPN (Committee on Phylogenetic Nomenclature) from nine to twelve members.
The third meeting convened at Dalhousie University in Halifax, from July 20 to 22, 2008. The editors of the Companion Volume presented a progress report, and a demonstration of the RegNum on-line registration database was given. Both of these are important to the society because they are required to implement the PhyloCode. Other discussions at the meeting covered the problem of hybrids in rank-based and phylogenetic nomenclature, phyloinformatics, and teaching phylogenetic nomenclature.
- ^ Sharma, O. P. (2009). Plant Taxonomy 2E. Tata McGraw-Hill Education. p. 93. ISBN 9780070141599.
- ^ Singh, Gurcharan (2009). Plant systematics: an integrated approach. Science Publishers. p. 40. ISBN 9781578086689.
- ^ Laurin, M.; Cantino, P. D. (2004). "First International phylogenetic nomenclature meeting: a report". Zoologica Scripta. 33 (5): 475–479. doi:10.1111/j.0300-3256.2004.00176.x. S2CID 86552807.
- ^ Laurin, M.; Cantino, P. D. (2007). "Second meeting of the International Society for Phylogenetic Nomenclature: a report". Zoologica Scripta. 36 (1): 109–117. doi:10.1111/j.1463-6409.2006.00268.x. S2CID 222198538.
- ^ Laurin, M.; Bryant, H. N. (2009). "Third Meeting of the International Society for Phylogenetic Nomenclature: a Report". Zoologica Scripta. 38 (3): 333–337. doi:10.1111/j.1463-6409.2008.00379.x. S2CID 221171579.