|Alma mater||University of Toronto|
|Institutions||Muséum National d'Histoire Naturelle|
Michel Laurin is a Canadian-born French vertebrate paleontologist whose specialities include the emergence of a land-based lifestyle among vertebrates, the evolution of body size and the origin and phylogeny of lissamphibians. He has also made important contributions to the literature on phylogenetic nomenclature.
As an undergraduate, he worked in the laboratory of Robert L. Carroll and earned his Ph.D. at the University of Toronto under the direction of Robert R. Reisz; his thesis concerned the osteology of seymouriamorphs. His 1991 review of diapsid phylogeny provided the broadest review of the subject up to that date. In 1995, Laurin and Reisz coauthored a widely cited article providing evidence that the synapsids are the sister group of all other amniotes. He later worked on untangling the phylogeny of the Stegocephalia, a group with a notoriously difficult phylogeny. He later moved to France; since 1998, he has been a CNRS researcher at the Muséum National d'Histoire Naturelle.
He is an editor-in-chief of Comptes Rendus Palevol, a journal in the Comptes Rendus de l'Académie des Sciences family, as well as being a reviewing editor for the Journal of Evolutionary Biology. He has been a key contributor to the International Society for Phylogenetic Nomenclature, where he served as president 2008–2009 and as secretary 2010–2011.
- "Michel Laurin". on the website of the Muséum national d'Histoire naturelle. Retrieved January 8, 2013.
- Laurin, Michel (1991). "The osteology of a Lower Permian eosuchian from Texas and a review of diapsid phylogeny". Zoological Journal of the Linnean Society. 101: 59–95. doi:10.1111/j.1096-3642.1991.tb00886.x.
- Modesto, Sean P.; Reisz, Robert R. (2003). "An enigmatic new diapsid reptile from the Upper Permian of eastern Europe". Journal of Vertebrate Paleontology. 22 (4): 851–855. doi:10.1671/0272-4634(2002)022[0851:AENDRF]2.0.CO;2. S2CID 131566543.
- Laurin, Michel; Reisz, Robert R. (1995). "A reevaluation of early amniote phylogeny" (PDF). Zoological Journal of the Linnean Society. 113 (2): 165–223. doi:10.1111/j.1096-3642.1995.tb00932.x. Archived from the original (PDF) on 2019-06-08. Retrieved 2012-12-06.
- Laurin, M. (1996) Phylogeny of Stegocephalians, from the Tree of Life Web Project
- "Comptes Rendus Palevol". Elsevier. Retrieved January 9, 2013.
- "Journal of Evolutionary Biology". Journal of Evolutionary Biology. CiteSeerX 10.1.1.523.9731. doi:10.1111/(ISSN)1420-9101. Retrieved January 8, 2013.
- ISPN council, official list from International Society for Phylogenetic Nomenclature