- A magnitude 7.8 earthquake strikes Turkey and Syria, killing at least 600 people and injuring more than 1,500 others.
- Former Pakistani President Pervez Musharraf (pictured) dies at the age of 79.
- A Chinese balloon suspected of surveillance and espionage is shot down after overflying Canada and the United States.
- Comet C/2022 E3 (ZTF) makes its closest approach to the Earth.
- A suicide bombing in a mosque in Peshawar, Pakistan, kills 100 people and injures more than 220 others.
|In the news toolbox|
"In the news" mentions and links to entries of timely interest – encyclopedia articles that have been updated to reflect an important current event – rather than conventional news items. To prevent vandalism on the Main Page, it is a permanently protected template. See Wikipedia:In the news for more details.
See an error? Please note it on Wikipedia:Main Page/Errors for administrator assistance.
The template accepts one parameter: adding
|nocurrenteventslink=1 removes the link to Portal:Current events. This is used on the current events page to hide the link there.
Admins: After updating please purge the cache of the Main Page so that the updated version appears.
In terms of Main Page balance, right now we're configured for widescreen monitors, which it appears most editors use. Non-widescreen users, please do not change the balance even if it looks off on your monitor.