Urban history is the study of the history of urbanism. It looks into why and how cities developed. Urban history also studies the social, political, cultural and economic aspects of cities. Most urban historians focus on the larger or more important cities. There is much less attention to small cities, towns and suburbs. Urban history involves several other fields of study as they affect cities. These include archaeology, architecture, sociology, and the political and economic aspects of cities over time.
Related pages[change | change source]
- Journal of Planning History
- Danish Centre of Urban History
- International Planning History Society
- Society for American City and Regional Planning History
Other websites[change | change source]
- Gilbert A. Stelter, "Introduction to the Study of Urban History" (1996) Archived 2013-01-01 at Archive.today
- The Urban History Association Archived 2015-03-12 at the Wayback Machine
- Centre for Urban History, University of Leicester, U.K.
- Centre for Urban History, University of Antwerp, Belgium[permanent dead link]
- Center for Urban History of East Central Europe, Lviv, Ukraine
References[change | change source]