The Crystal Mover is a rubber-tired automated people mover (APM) system for airport and public transport applications manufactured at Mitsubishi Heavy Industries (MHI) Mihara Machinery Works in Mihara, Japan. The Crystal Mover, initially based on the Japanese APM standard, is used in automated guideway transit (AGT) systems in China, Japan, Singapore, South Korea, the United Arab Emirates and the United States.
Since 2010s MHI has been building and delivering a new family of AGT systems branded Urbanismo as the successor to the Crystal Mover. The Urbanismo family consists of a higher-speed model called "Urbanismo Super AGT" with a top speed of 120 km/h and three customizable models called "Urbanismo-22", "Urbanismo-18", and "Urbanismo-16" with a gross weight of over 22, 18, and 16 tons, respectively.
Between 2014 and 2016, Yurikamome, Inc., which operates the Yurikamome line in Tokyo, purchased a fleet of 18 six-car 7300 series trainsets based on the Urbanismo-18 class to replace all of the 18 six-car 7000 series trainsets. Between June 2018 and June 2020, MHI also delivered 8 six-car 7500 series (upgraded version of 7300 series) trainsets to replace the fleet of 7200 series trainsets.
Saitama New Urban Transit Co., Ltd., which operates the New Shuttle in Saitama Prefecture, purchased a fleet of 5 six-car 2020 series trainsets based on the Urbanismo-16 class to replace the fleet of 3 six-car 1010 series trainsets and 2 six-car 1050 series trainsets from 2015 to 2020.
In Hiroshima, Hiroshima Rapid Transit purchased 24 six-car 7000 series trainsets based on the Urbanismo class to replace the existing fleet of 23 six-car 6000 series trainsets and 1 six-car 1000 series trainset running on the Astram Line. The 7000 series entered service on 26 March 2020.
The Tokyo Metropolitan Bureau of Transportation purchased a fleet of 12 five-car 330 series trainsets, which are similar in design to the Yurikamome 7300 series trainsets, to replace the fleet of 300 series trainsets running on the Nippori-Toneri Liner from fiscal 2022 to 2024.
In Singapore, Crystal Movers operate on the Sengkang LRT line and the Punggol LRT line, both managed by SBS Transit Ltd. These cars have been operating since 2003 on the Sengkang LRT and on the Punggol LRT since its opening in 2005. There is a fleet of 41 cars of Mitsubishi Heavy Industries Crystal Mover C810 in total for the two LRT lines. An additional order was placed for 16 more cars (Contract 810A) with identical specifications to increase capacity on both LRT lines, and had been fully delivered as of 2016.
On 31 December 2010, Macau placed a MOP 4.688 billion order for Urbanismo-22 vehicles nicknamed "Ocean Cruiser" for the Macau Light Transit System, which started commercial operation on 10 December 2019. It was free of charge till 31 January 2020.
Crystal Movers are currently in operation in the following airports, with most applications being in the United States:
- Incheon Airport Shuttle Train, Incheon International Airport
United Arab Emirates
- AeroTrain, Washington Dulles International Airport, United States
- ATL Skytrain, Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport, United States
- MIA Mover and Skytrain, Miami International Airport, United States
- Orlando International Airport People Movers, Orlando International Airport, United States[a]
- SkyConnect, Tampa International Airport, United States
- Configuration: Single- or double-car
- Capacity (passengers): 105 (including 18 seats) or 210 (including 36 seats)
- Vehicle mass: 14.9 t (14.7 long tons; 16.4 short tons) per vehicle
- Vehicle dimensions: 11.84 m (38 ft 10 in) (length) × 2.69 m (8 ft 10 in) (width) × 3,615 mm (11 ft 10.3 in) (height)
- Guide system: Side guide two-axis four-wheel steering system
- Electric system: Third rail at 750 volts direct current
- Gauge: 1,850 mm (6 ft 27⁄32 in); guide rail span: 3.2 m (10 ft 6 in)
- Maximum speed:
- Vehicle performance: 70 / 80 km/h (43 / 50 mph)
- Operation: 70 km/h (43 mph)
- Service acceleration and braking: 1.0 m/s2 (3.3 ft/s2) (3.6 km/h/s)
- Emergency braking: 1.3 m/s2 (4.3 ft/s2) (4.68 km/h/s)
- Car body structure: Aluminum alloy welded structure
- Traction motor: Two 3-phase alternating current induction motors each with a continuous rating of 80 kW (110 hp)
- Propulsion control system: IGBT–VVVF inverter vector control (individual control of each axis with variable load control)
- Brake system: Electric command pneumatic brake with regenerative brake (with stand-by brake, parking brake, variable load control and wheel slide prevention control)
- Bombardier Innovia APM
- Véhicule Automatique Léger (VAL)
- ^ C parking terminal and gates 1-59 only, gates 70-129 are served by Bombardier CX-100 shuttles.
- ^ "Mitsubishi Heavy Industries, Ltd. Global Website | Mihara Machinery Works". Mitsubishi Heavy Industries, Ltd. Retrieved 2023-05-13.
- ^ a b c d "Mitsubishi Heavy Industries, Ltd. Global Website | Transportation". Mitsubishi Heavy Industries, Ltd. Retrieved 2023-05-07.
- ^ a b "マカオに登場｢ゆりかもめの兄弟｣新交通の実力". 東洋経済オンライン (in Japanese). 2019-12-30. Retrieved 2023-05-07.
- ^ "三菱重工、ゆりかもめの新型108両を受注". レスポンス（Response.jp） (in Japanese). Retrieved 2023-05-07.
- ^ "三菱重工 | 新交通ゆりかもめ向け 全自動無人運転車両（AGT）48両を受注". 三菱重工 (in Japanese). Retrieved 2023-05-07.
- ^ "新交通ゆりかもめ向け 全自動無人運転車両（AGT）48両を受注 2020年に向けて納入" [Order received for 48 AGT vehicles for Yurikamome to be delivered by 2020]. Mitsubishi Heavy Industries (in Japanese). Japan. 23 September 2016. Retrieved 23 September 2016.
- ^ ニューシャトル2020系23編成が営業運転を開始 - 鉄道ファン・railf.jp 鉄道ニュース、2016年6月28日
- ^ 三菱重工エンジニアリング,ニューシャトル2020系を追加納入 - 鉄道ファン 2019年2月12日掲載
- ^ 2020系 第5弾目の25（にいごう）編成がデビューします - 埼玉新都市交通 2020年02月18日
- ^ "広島高速交通｜地下鉄車両ガイド｜日本地下鉄協会". www.jametro.or.jp. Retrieved 2023-05-07.
- ^ "「日暮里・舎人ライナー」車両の更新を進めます～6月25日から運行開始～". 東京都交通局 (in Japanese). 2022-06-23. Retrieved 2022-06-24.
- ^ 東京都交通局から日暮里・舎人ライナーの新型車両を12編成（60両）受注 三菱重工エンジニアリング、更新で混雑緩和等に貢献へ 三菱重工業プレス・インフォメーション（2020年6月16日）2020年6月17日閲覧。
- ^ a b "Mitsubishi Heavy Industries and Mitsubishi Corporation Receive Order for Design, Manufacture, Installation and Commissioning of Singapore Light Rapid Transit Capacity Expansion -- Vehicles and Electrical and Mechanical Systems for Sengkang and Punggol LRT Systems (C810A) --". 22 May 2013. Archived from the original on 4 March 2016. Retrieved 25 November 2015.
- ^ "Mitsubishi Crystal Mover". SGTrains. Retrieved 28 September 2013.
- ^ Mitsubishi wins LRT tender Archived 2011-01-04 at the Wayback Machine
- ^ "Mitsubishi Heavy Industries, Ltd. Global Website | Transportation achievements". Mitsubishi Heavy Industries, Ltd. Retrieved 2023-05-13.
- ^ "Washington Dulles International Airport Renews and Extends AeroTrain Operations and Maintenance Contract with Crystal Mover Services, Inc". 1 December 2014. Retrieved 30 October 2020.
- ^ a b c "A Look at America's Airport Automated People Mover Addiction". 27 August 2020. Retrieved 30 October 2020.
- ^ "Terminal-Gate Shuttle Replacement". Orlando International Airport. Archived from the original on 10 September 2017. Retrieved 7 August 2017.
- ^ "Mitsubishi Heavy Industries America's "Crystal Mover" APM System Begins Operations at Tampa International Airport". 8 February 2018. Retrieved 30 October 2020.
- Light Rail Transit (Singapore) rolling stock
- Airport people mover systems
- Crystal Mover people movers
- Mitsubishi Heavy Industries products
- Electric multiple units of Hong Kong
- Electric multiple units of the United States
- Rolling stock of the United Arab Emirates
- Multiple units of Malaysia
- Electric multiple units of South Korea
- Electric multiple units of Japan
- Rail transport in Macau