Wikipedia:Lead section TT first sentence format
First sentence format
- As a general rule, the first (and only the first) appearance of the page title should be in boldface as early as possible in the first sentence:
An electron is a subatomic particle that carries a negative electric charge.
- However, if the title of a page is descriptive and does not appear verbatim in the main text, then it should not be in boldface. So, for example, Electrical characteristics of dynamic loudspeakers begins with:
The chief electrical characteristic of a dynamic loudspeaker's driver is its electrical impedance as a function of frequency.
- If the subject of the page is normally italicized (for example, a work of art, literature, album, or ship) then its first mention should be both bold and italic text; if it is usually surrounded by quotation marks, the title should be bold but the quotation marks should not:
Las Meninas (Spanish for The Maids of Honour) is a 1656 painting by Diego Velázquez, ...
"Yesterday" is a pop song originally recorded by The Beatles for their 1965 album Help!
- If the subject of the page has a common abbreviation or more than one name, the abbreviation (in parentheses) and each additional name should be in boldface on its first appearance:
Sodium hydroxide (NaOH), also known as lye, caustic soda and (incorrectly, according to IUPAC nomenclature) sodium hydrate, is ...
- Use as few links as possible before and in the bolded title. Thereafter, words used in a title may be linked to provide more detail:
Arugam Bay is a bay situated on the Indian Ocean in the dry zone of Sri Lanka's southeast coast.
|WELCOME! This page is part of an experimental solution to the problem of conflicting style guidelines.
This page contains the first sentence format guidelines for insertion into articles where such guidelines are appropriate.
About transclude text
For more information about the purpose, use, and creation of transclude text go to Wikipedia:Transclude text. NOTE: If you add the transclude text in this page to an article then please add the name of that article to the list below.
Edit with care
Any edit you make to the following text should be consistent with Wikipedia:Lead section, the main guideline covering this topic. Also, take care that the edit is appropriate for all of the other articles into which the text is transcluded (a list of such articles is provided below).
Articles that use this text
- These notes may be in the hidden transclude text.