The Wikipedia Library (talk | e)
Research tools and services
This is a starting point for collating free, web-based resources available to editors, as well as indexes to help point to sources. Please feel free to add new resources with a URL to the site, and a brief description. Don't worry too much about presentation or organization, this is just a draft. Add new headings as needed.
- Public domain resources
- Free online resources
- GNU Free Documentation License Resources
- Free or semi-free non-public-domain information resources
- WikiProject reference libraries
- Unreferenced article resources
- List of digital library projects
- List of scientific journals
- List of academic databases and search engines
- Portal:Contents/Lists#General reference
- Directory of Open Access Journals (DOAJ) - doaj.org
- Online Books Page - repository of out-of-copyright, full-text e-books, onlinebooks.library.upenn.edu
- Project Gutenberg - 30,000 e-books, gutenberg.org
- Google Scholar - index of both free, and paywalled academic articles, scholar.google.com
- Internet Public Library - search engine of resources maintained by volunteer librarians, ipl.org
- Open Access Directory (OAD): website
- WikiProject Open Access Catalogue
- OAPEN Library: website
- Open Library
- ROAD: Directory of Open Access Scholarly Resources: website
- Directory of Open Access Books (DOAB): website
- Registry of Open Access Repositories (ROAR): website
- COnnecting REpositories (CORE): website
- OAD index of OA book publishers
- OAD index of open data repositories
- Mendeley research papers
- Digital Library of the Commons
- Library of Congress
- Digital Commons Network
- Open Access Theses and Dissertations
- A Guide to Free & Cheap Books Online
- MIT Open Courseware
- See also Collections on Meta.
- Over 1,200 (and growing) books published by the Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York, up to c. 2009, fully available to download as PDFs (though content is still copyrighted) from the Thomas J. Watson Library at the MMA. Exhibition and collection catalogues, many very large and well-illustrated, and much else. Also useful for general history etc.
- Oxford Art Online (select articles)
Biology and zoology
- Encyclopedia of Life - collection of biology-related articles and links: eol.org
- Biodiversity Heritage Library - access to legacy literature - http://www.biodiversitylibrary.org
- Taxonomy Browser
- Open Biology (web site)
- Zookeys (web site)
- Phytokeys (web site)
- UNESCO Public Domain Resources and Virtual Library
- Academy Awards database
- BMI repertoire search and ASCAP search. Look up song titles, publishers and songwriters/composers.
- Billboard magazine archives
- Emmy Awards database
- Grammy Awards database
- Japanese Anime and manga WikiProject's list of sources
- Rolling Stone magazine
Data and statistics
- UNESCO Institute for Statistics
- World Bank Data Catalog
- United States Census Bureau
- International Data Base
- US Energy Information Agency
Earth and environmental studies
- National Bureau of Economics Research
- The Economist
- Index of Economic Freedom
- International Monetary Fund
- BBC Country Profiles
- Countries of the World
- Historical Maps
- Library of Congress Country Studies
- CIA World Factbook
- CIA World DataBank II
- BBC News: Country Profiles
- ELDIS: Country and Regional Profiles
Government and politics
- Homeland Security Digital Library
- Biographical Directory of the United States Congress 1774 to present
- Reports and publications of the Brookings Institution, public policy think tank in Washington, D.C.
- Reports and publications of the Cato Institute, public policy think-tank headquartered in Washington, D.C.
- Reports and publications of the Center for American Progress, public policy think tank in Washington, D.C.
- EULib: large, searchable collection of official European Union news and documents.
- Foreign Affairs: periodical published by the Council on Foreign Relations.
- Foreign Policy: a leading quarterly of international affairs.
- Marxists Internet Archive - Collection of primary source documents
- Library of Anglo-American Culture and History
- Lectures in Medieval History
- Digital Archive, Toronto Public Library
- Australian Dictionary of Biography 
- Dictionary of Canadian Biography 
Languages and linguistics
- African Court of Justice  - African Union
- Coalition for the International Criminal Court 
- Amnesty International: human rights.
- European Union law 
- Human Rights Watch
- International Court of Justice  - (ICJ) United Nations' judicial body
- International Criminal Court  - ICC is in Hague, Netherlands governed by the Rome Statute
- Law Library of Congress  - United States Internet Law Library of Congress
Library and Information Science
- Gale's Literary Index - database of Gale entries on literature and authors, as well as bibliographies: galenet.com/servlet/LitIndex
- Project Gutenberg
- Encyclopedia of Mathematics 
- MathWorld 
- PlanetMath 
- Free Medical Journals - index of 3,630 free medical journals: freemedicaljournals.com
- PubMed - index of over 22 million items in the biomedical field: ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed
- Merck Manual
- Food and Drug Administration (FDA)
- BioMed Central
- Drug Information Portal
- Global Health Observatory (GHO) (web site)
- The ezFolk Public Domain Music Library
- The Choral Public Domain Library
- The Werner Icking Music Archive
- Oxford Music Online (select articles)
- Google News
- Brooklyn Daily Eagle – Digitization of the historic Brooklyn Daily Eagle newspaper, from October 26, 1841, to December 31, 1902; approximately 147,000 pages.
- Chronicling America – Digitization project of the U.S. Library of Congress; a smorgasbord of American newspapers published between 1836 and 1922; approximately 5,200,000 pages.
- Old Fulton NY Post Cards – A private digitization project; contains over 21,000,000 old New York State historical newspaper pages.
- Northern New York Library Network, overlapping some of Old Fulton's content but smaller (about 2,000,000 pages) and providing a different search interface.
- Papers Past – Digitization project of the National Library of New Zealand; over 2,000,000 New Zealand newspaper pages.
- Trove – Digitization project of the National Library of Australia; over 5,000,000 Australian newspaper pages.
- Elephind – text searchable free database of approximately 2,700 newspapers.
- The European Library – text searchable free database of approximately 3.3 million European newspaper pages; a project funded under the European Commission's CIP 2007 – 2013 programme.
Physics and astronomy
Religion and philosophy
- Internet Sacred Text Archive
- King James Bible (Authorized Version) (1611)
- Christian Classics Ethereal Library
- The Basic Texts of Hinduism and Veda
- Free Books on Yoga, Religion and Hindu Philosophy
- The Jewish Encyclopedia
- Three parallel texts of the Qur'an
- Internet Encyclopedia of Philosophy 
- Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy (web site)
- The British Library's complete collection of sacred texts