Type of site
|Events, Social Networking|
|Created by||Andy Baio, Gordon Luk, Leonard Lin|
|Launched||September 19, 2003|
Upcoming (formerly Upcoming.org) is a social event calendar website that launched in 2003, founded by Andy Baio.
Upcoming combines features of an event calendar and a social networking site. Primarily, the site is a searchable, browseable repository of upcoming events, such as art exhibits, conferences, and music concerts. Event information is primarily contributed by the user community, although in its later years, an increasing percentage of event data originated from commercial sources. Users can indicate their plans by marking that they are "watching" or "going" to an event. Users can also establish "friend" relationships with each other and receive notifications about what their friends are attending.
The site switched to the Yahoo! user accounts system in early 2007, and changed its domain name to upcoming.yahoo.com. At the same time, the site formally changed its name from "Upcoming.org" to simply "Upcoming".
Upcoming uses iCalendar, GeoRSS, and RSS for content syndication and supports an open API for searching or submitting event data. It also uses hCalendar microformats, so that events can be downloaded directly into calendar applications.
On October 4, 2005, Upcoming.org was acquired by Yahoo!. In April 2013, Yahoo! announced the retirement of Upcoming.
On May 7, 2014, Andy Baio launched a Kickstarter campaign to re-launch upcoming.org independently of Yahoo!
- ^ Waxy.org: Upcoming.org Launch!
- ^ "The Web's Most Useful Sites, 2007, Event Calendars". PC World. 2007. Archived from the original on 2012-04-14. Retrieved 2008-11-03.
- ^ Udell, Jon. "Upcoming events in Keene, NH". InfoWorld. Archived from the original on 2009-01-07.
- ^ "The New Upcoming". April 19, 2007. Archived from the original on May 17, 2008. Retrieved October 26, 2008.
- ^ "Upcoming.org Absorbed By Faceless Corporation, Free T-Shirts for All". Mashable. April 19, 2007.
- ^ "Yahoo! Local adopts Microformats". ZDNet Video. Archived from the original on 2009-02-14. Retrieved 2008-11-03.
- ^ What's Upcoming at Yahoo! Local Archived 2008-02-16 at the Wayback Machine
- ^ Yahoo acquires Upcoming.org | CNet News
- ^ Protalinski, Emil (April 19, 2013). "Yahoo cuts the deadwood with closures". The Next Web. Retrieved May 19, 2013.
- ^ "Andy Baio crowdfunds $30,000 in 90 minutes to relaunch community event site Upcoming". The Next Web. May 7, 2014.