|No. 68 Toronto Argonauts|
|Born:||June 4, 1995|
|Height||6 ft 8 in (203 cm)|
|Weight||325 lb (147 kg)|
New Mexico Military
|High school||Crescent Heights|
|CFL Draft||2019 / Round: 1 / Pick: 1|
|Drafted by||Toronto Argonauts|
|Career highlights and awards|
Early playing career
Following high school, Richards played for the Calgary Colts of the Canadian Junior Football League in the 2014 season and practiced with the Calgary Stampeders as a territorial rights player that same year. He then attended New Mexico Military Institute to play college football for the Broncos in 2015. After seeing success there, he transferred to play for the Oklahoma State Cowboys in 2016 where he played in four games as a junior. He had a redshirt season in 2017 and returned to play his senior year in 2018 where he played in eight regular season games and in the Liberty Bowl victory over Missouri.
Upon entering the CFL Draft, Richards was ranked as the second-best prospect by the Central CFL Scouting Bureau for players eligible in the 2019 CFL Draft. He was eventually drafted first overall in the draft by the Toronto Argonauts and signed with the team at a team draft party with season ticket holders on May 2, 2019 to a three-year contract. Richards was an opening day starter for the team in the 2019 season and played in his first professional game on June 22, 2019 against the Hamilton Tiger-Cats. He suffered a groin injury in practice before the second game of the season and was on the injured reserve for the next ten games. He dressed in the last seven games of the season and played eight in total for his rookie year.
- O'Leary: Richards anchors big draft night for Argos and their fans, Toronto Argonauts, May 3, 2019, retrieved May 11, 2019
- "Nine former CJFL players were selected in the CFL Draft". Canadian Junior Football League. May 3, 2019.
- "Calgary talent Shane Richards possible top pick in CFL Draft". Calgary Sun. May 2, 2019.
- "67 Shane Richards". Canadian Junior Football League. Retrieved January 19, 2021.
- Wilkinson, Desjarlais climb final CFL Scouting Bureau rankings, Canadian Football League, April 12, 2019, retrieved April 13, 2019
- Argos select OL Shane Richards first overall, Canadian Football League, May 2, 2019, retrieved May 11, 2019
- Hogan: A new look Shane Richards Preps for 2021, Toronto Argonauts, January 14, 2021, retrieved January 19, 2021
- "2019 CFL Draft: Toronto Argonauts select Oklahoma State OL Shane Richards first overall". cowboysrideforfree.com. May 2, 2019.